Faculty Members (Department of English )
Syeda Bhumika Mahmud
Department of English
Telephone: +880 9613737373, Ext. 158
Syeda Bhumika Mahmud, Lecturer in the Department of English, at the International Standard University (ISU) has completed her Bachelor of Arts (Honours) and Master of Arts degrees in English (with a concentration in Literatures in English and Cultural Studies) from Jahangirnagar University. During her undergraduate and graduate years, she presented numerous academic papers at her alma mater. Some of her key writings include: (i) Research Report titled “Journey or Destination?: Reinterpretation of ‘Home’ as Differential Space in Eugene O’Neill’s Long Day’s Journey into Night”; (ii) Cultural Analysis Paper exploring “Stuart Hall and Gender Stereotyping as a Signifying Practice in Bangladeshi School Textbooks”; (iii) Gender Studies Paper on “A Critique of Hélène Cixous and ‘Sorties’”. Prior to her academic endeavour, she held an administrative position as Programme Associate (with the responsibility of Executive Associate of the Distinguished Fellow office) at the Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD). Ms. Mahmud also has multiple years of private tutoring experience. As such, she is well acquainted with the O’ Level English syllabuses of Bangladeshi schools like Sunbeams, South Breeze, HURDCO International School, as well as Malaysian schools such as Nexus International School and International Islamic School Malaysia (IISM).
Ms. Mahmud has experience as a Creative Content Developer, Freelance Writer & Translator, and has numerous Artistic achievements. Her areas of interest are Discourse Analysis, Gender Studies, Spatial Criticism, etc. She plans to expand her literary and critical knowledge by further exploring the aforementioned fields of Gender Studies and Spatial Criticism, as also Disability Studies, Queer Studies, Cultural Studies, and more.
- Mahmud, Syeda Bhumika. “Filling the Gaps in the History of Evolutionary Theories.” Krishan Times | Krishanfoundation.com, 17 May 2022, https://krishanfoundation.com/filling-the-gaps-in-the-history-of-evolutionary-theories/.
- Mahmud, Syeda Bhumika. “De/Construction of Gendered Spaces in A Doll’s House and Bravely Fought the Queen.” Kawsar Hussain Memorial Seminar Library (KHMSL), Department of English, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, 2021.
- Mahmud, Syeda Bhumika, translator. “Novera pioneers New Art form in Asia.” Novera: Bibhuya Sobhume (Novera: Home and Away). By Anna Islam, Journeyman Books / Anyaprokash, 2020, pp. 67–70.
- Mahmud, Syeda Bhumika. “Qayyum Chowdhury: Illustrating with Style.” Depart Magazine, 2015, pp. 6–7. https://departmag.com/index.php/en/detail/360/Qayyum-Chowdhury-and-Illustrating-with-style.
- 2011: Academic Achievement for Outstanding Performance, Scholastica, Dhaka
- 2008: “Emon Jodi Hoto”, Khude Shilpir Khoje 2008, Calendar Winning Entry, Prime Bank Limited, Dhaka
- 2007: Selected Prize, 14th Kanagawa Biennale World Children’s Art Exhibition, Kanagawa Prefecture and Kanagawa Int. Foundation, Japan
- 2006: Regional Selection Qualifying Award, Group B, Toyota Dream Car Art Contest 2006 (Second Round), collaboration of Toyota Tsushu Corporation and Navana Ltd.
- 2006: Certificate of Selection, Special Bangladesh Children’s Exhibition of Mitsubishi Asian Children’s Enikki-Festa 2006-2007, Bangladesh Shilpakala Academy
- 2006: Certificate of Creativity, The Grand Finale of Surf excel Protibhar Lorai 2006, Interschool Creativity Contest, Dhaka
- 2005: Special Prize, 13th Kanagawa Biennale World Children’s Art Exhibition, Japan
- 2005: Gold Medal, ‘Egypt In The Eyes of Children of the World’ Competition, The National Center for Child’s Culture, Egypt
- MA in English: Literatures in English and Cultural Studies
Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka
- BA (Hons.) in English
- 2021: Public Relations Assist, Quick Response Team, ‘English JUbilee Lit Fest 2021’, Online Literary Festival, Department of English, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka
- 2020: Member of the Organizing Committee, Departmental SAARC Study Tour 2020, Department of English, Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka
- 2015: Volunteer, ‘Hands Full of Happiness’ & ‘International Day of Charity’, Durnibar Foundation, Dhaka
- 2013: Volunteer, Society for the Welfare of Autistic Children (SWAC), Shyamoli, Dhaka
EXHIBITION & WORKSHOP
- 2014: Volunteer and Artist’s Assistant, ‘Abstract Serenity’, 4th Solo Painting Exhibition of Syed Hasan Mahmud, Bengal Gallery of Fine Arts, Dhaka
- 2004-2013: Teacher’s Assistant and Art Teacher, Junior Group, Jhapi School of Art, Dhaka
- 2008: Volunteer, ‘Nature is …’, Architectural Exhibition by Rafiq Azam and his team Shatotto, Bengal Gallery of Fine Arts, Dhaka
- 2006: Team Member, Workshop on Art, Young Learners’ Centre, British Council with Jhapi School of Art team, Dhaka
- Programme Associate (with the responsibility of Executive Associate of the Distinguished Fellow office), Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD), Dhaka from 8 May 2022 to 10 January 2023
- Creative Content Developer (Contractual), 4 Dimension, Dhaka from May 2021 to April 2022
- Romantic Poetry
- Prose and Drama
- Remedial English
- Developing Vocabulary
- English Composition
- Listening and Speaking Skills
- Critical Reading and Academic Writing
- Literary and Cultural Criticism
- Professional Communications
- Research Methodology
- Cultural Studies
- Critical Discourse Analysis
- Elizabethan and Jacobean Drama
- Restoration and 18th Century English Literature
- Gender Studies
- Queer Studies
- Disability Studies
- Cultural Studies
- Spatial Criticism
- Literary Theory and Criticism
- Discourse Analysis
- Feminist Criticism